Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Shrinking Large Score Font (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=32763)

rrayner 06-22-2016 03:59 PM

Shrinking Large Score Font

1 Attachment(s)
In the attached score, I can only go down as far as 7 for font size when exported as a pdf. I get different error codes for 6 and 5, although both say "could not create the pdf".

If you look at the pdf for font size 7, there are still a number of places that get mashed together. Any suggestions?

Ralph Rayner

Sherry C 06-22-2016 04:17 PM

Re: Shrinking Large Score Font

Hi Ralph,

I was able to export a pdf using a default font size of 5.

However, in looking through the font sizes for your file, I saw that Instrument Names had a font setting of 5.6 - this may have been the culprit.
Alternatively, the exported pdf file size is around 6 Mb, so if your computer doesn't have enough memory that may have choked it (at least for the Conductor's Score.)

Please try
  1. Format/ Font Styles
  2. Set the Default Font Point Size to 5
  3. Check all elements to make sure they have the "Use default point size" checked.
  4. Click Ok to save
  5. Use File/Export...PDF and see if you can now export a Conductor's Score pdf. I did, and most pages looked good - some were still a little tight, but were readable.
Hope this helps!

ttfn,
Sherry

rrayner 06-22-2016 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Sherry,

I tried your suggestion and got halfway through the export before aborting:

The PDF file could not be created. Error Code: 6

This is my new laptop, running Windows 10. I appear to have 15.9 GB usable RAM.

Just to make certain that I have done as you have instructed, I will attach the file implementing your suggestions.

Ralph

Sherry C 06-22-2016 05:08 PM

Hi Ralph,

Then it must be the "Instrument Names" font size that is at issue - it is still set at 5.6 in your file. (see step 3 in my steps below)

Please take a look at Format/Font Styles, and then click on "Instrument Names" in the list at the bottom. You'll see that the Point Size is set at 5.6, rather than having the "Use default point size" box checked.

Try checking the "Use default point size" box for the Instrument Names and see if that makes it work.

ttfn,
Sherry

rrayner 06-22-2016 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No cigar, Sherry. I have made the suggested change, and now the Code 6 happens immediately. See attached.

Ralph

Sherry C 06-22-2016 09:07 PM

Hi Ralph,

Hmmm.... I can get a pdf from it fine here, but I'm using Win 7 :) The exported pdf from the file in Post 5 is slightly larger than the Post 1 file, but I'm not sure that has anything to do with it.

So, just to make sure we're doing exactly the same thing, here are the exact steps that I'm taking:

1. Open the file from Post 5. (I also double-checked to make sure all the Format/Font Styles settings were for a default of 5, in case there was an issue with those settings "sticking".)
  2. Use File/Export PDF
  3. Select the Conductor's Score only
  4. Click OK to begin the export. It goes fairly quickly through the first 80% of the export, then slows considerably, then finishes.
Is there anything that you are doing differently than the above?

ttfn,
Sherry

rrayner 06-22-2016 09:33 PM

Yes, I fail immediately. No write activity visible.

We're heading home tonight. I will try it on my Windows 7 desktop. Thanks.

Ralph

rrayner 06-23-2016 01:52 AM

Hi Sherry,

PDF Export worked fine on my Windows 7 desktop, with less RAM. There is either a Windows 10 problem here, or there is something environmentally different on my laptop. Any help you could use in tracking this one down is gladly offered, but I am out of my immediate problem. Thank you.

Ralph

rrayner 06-25-2016 02:01 PM

I have one remaining visual problem with this score. My faked beat markers (Free Text), i.e., the slashes in the rhythm section and open horn solos don't seem to have taken the hint on the font size changes you had me make. They are disproportionately large in both the Composer file and the pdf.

This process won't let me load the .not file I'm currently looking at, but it should be the same as what was already posted, perhaps minus the font changes

Ralph

rrayner 06-26-2016 03:41 PM

Cancel my previous posting. I discovered that I could select all of the slashes and press Ctrl and the Minus key. Then, the slashes looked fine in both the Composer score and the pdf file. I hope no one spent any time on this. Thank you.

Ralph Rayner