Thread: Clarinet Sonata
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 09:13 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Dr. Kalve, Many thanks for

Dr. Kalve,

Many thanks for your helpful comments. I'm afraid I don't think much (consciously) about phraseology when I'm writing--that is mostly a process of getting on paper what I have imagined; so I certainly wouldn't quibble with an analysis that finds it faulty. I can see, too, why there might be structural confusion. I tend to think in standard forms, but I also tend to make departures, usually after hesitating at first, when intuition tells me I would like the piece better if I did so. My only criterion for judging a piece is my listening enjoyment, and that standard could easily produce source material for a critical field day for anyone who doesn't enjoy it. But at my age, it seems more important to get the imagined stuff written before the years run out.

I am really glad you brought up the playability issue. The clarinetist I had in mind was as much wizard as virtuoso, but the instrument itself has limitations, and I have found several places where I will have to do some re-writing, for both instruments.

all best,
mgj