View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 01:07 AM
Active User

Default Re: Interest survey for including a scanning/OCR feature in Notation Composer -reply

Hello.
It looks like this thread has not had a reply for several months, but I want to add a few notes from my experience. I had purchased PhotoScore quite some time ago to pair up with my original version of Composer, but my experience with it was very unsatisfactory. I remember it taking more time to edit the conversion than to create the score in Composer manually. I also tried SharpEye several years ago, but found it less satisfactory than I had expected.

Two years ago I purchased Capella-Scan, and find this to have a very satisfactory success rate recognizing scores. Where it senses errors by improperly recognizing some notation, it drops various color coded hints into the on-screen notation to aid in manually correcting recognition errors. The cost is in the $250 range.

I input pdf scores into Capella, and although I currently output them as midi files because that is the only format I can input to Composer, it does output to MusicXML, and I am anxiously awaiting the capability to input that format into Composer.

-Ken