Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Suggestions and feature requests

Suggestions and feature requests Make suggestions for improving any aspect of any Notation Software product, or for new features.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2017, 01:07 AM
Active User

Default Re: Interest survey for including a scanning/OCR feature in Notation Composer -reply

Hello.
It looks like this thread has not had a reply for several months, but I want to add a few notes from my experience. I had purchased PhotoScore quite some time ago to pair up with my original version of Composer, but my experience with it was very unsatisfactory. I remember it taking more time to edit the conversion than to create the score in Composer manually. I also tried SharpEye several years ago, but found it less satisfactory than I had expected.

Two years ago I purchased Capella-Scan, and find this to have a very satisfactory success rate recognizing scores. Where it senses errors by improperly recognizing some notation, it drops various color coded hints into the on-screen notation to aid in manually correcting recognition errors. The cost is in the $250 range.

I input pdf scores into Capella, and although I currently output them as midi files because that is the only format I can input to Composer, it does output to MusicXML, and I am anxiously awaiting the capability to input that format into Composer.

-Ken