Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Suggestions and feature requests

Suggestions and feature requests Make suggestions for improving any aspect of any Notation Software product, or for new features.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2014, 09:24 PM

Default Repeat Measure Symbol

As I was writing for my own purposes, i.e., notating in Composer and listening to/playing along with on my Clavinova, it didn't matter to me what the drum part looked like, as long as it sounded right on my Clavinova.

Currently, I have an opportunity to write for live musicians, and the GM drum notation is at times very awkward to look at, much less decipher it at tempo. I have culled standard drum notation concepts and made my own template for "live drummers". I can now have a "real" drum staff, which contains all the proper GM notes, and a "print" drum staff, which will look good for the drummer.

The one thing that is lacking, to my way of thinking, is a symbol to indicate that this measure is a duplicate of the previous measure.

The first image below, Drum Part.jpg is a snapshot of an outrageously simple drum part from my playing days. However, measures 2-4 show the symbol that is on my wish list.

The second image below, Drum Part2.jpg is a snapshot of a Notation score that I am currently working on. All four measures are the same (except for the stem direction, which is of no consequence for my plea). I would love to be able to put the symbol from the first example into measures 2-4 of the second example.

And while I am wishing -- if this symbol were implemented in a future release, it would be nice to have the kind of trick that Mark built into collapsing measures containing rests, i.e., show the requested repeat symbol with a number over the measures indicating how many duplicate rhythm measures there are in this section. For example, in an eight-measure section, the first measure is the rhythm pattern, and measures 2 through 8 are covered by one measure with the repeat symbol in it and the number 7 over it, indicating play the previous measure 7 times.

Sounds pretty complicated to work into the code, but I can hope.

Ralph Rayner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drum Part.jpg (66.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Drum Part2.jpg (16.6 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by rrayner; 02-12-2014 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Fixed Part2