Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 05-16-2015, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Default Windows 10

Microsoft is going to launch Windows 10 in this year, 2015. Since October 2014 preview builds of Windows 10 exist. We have performed some testing of version 3 of Notation Software with pre-Windows 10 since October 2014 and have found an issue with the GS WaveTable Synth in pre-Windows 10 which I have reported to Microsoft (see http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...68c0b3f?page=1). Microsoft has not yet resolved this issue.

We plan to fully certify Player, Musician and Composer of version 3 on Windows 10 as soon as the final release of Windows 10 will is available. For the time being, we strongly recommend not to move a full purchased version on a pre-Windows 10. If you want to try the software on Windows 10, please use the trial versions which can be downloaded from our website.

Reinhold
Old 06-03-2015, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Windows 10

After Microsoft announced the launch of Windows 10 to be on July 29th, 2015, I brought up the issue with the GS Wavetable Synth on the Microsoft forum again. As you can see from the link above others confirm the issue, too. The issues was reported on Dec. 2nd, 2014. But from Microsoft there has no feedback yet as of June 3rd, 2015.

When Windows 10 will be available end of July we will immediately start with the certification of version 3 on Windows 10. But as of today we cannot propose a day by when Notation Software will be certified. The current pre-Windows 10 is too immature to give any outlook.

Reinhold
Old 06-06-2015, 06:26 PM
Administrator

We got some - I call it - "insight indication" that Microsoft will probably start Windows 10 without the issue resolved that I reported 6 months ago on Dec. 2nd, 2014.
We will use this thread to inform you about the progress and status of our certifiction. We also will send everybody a newsletter when our certification is done.

Reinhold

Last edited by Reinhold H.; 06-11-2015 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Took reference Sherry's thread out
Old 06-22-2015, 10:07 AM
Administrator

More from the Windows 10 front.

Currently more Windows 10 preview users confirm my reported bug. In addition others report a significant higher latency of the midi interface compared to Windows 7.
All I can say as of today (June 22nd, 2015) that Windows 10 is not ready to use for applications like Notation Software.

We will keep you posted.

Reinhold
Old 06-27-2015, 05:54 PM
Administrator

It looks like that not even Microsoft's Media Player can play MIDI files on Windows 10 when only the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth is installed. Meanwhile Microsoft shifted the bug report around and around in various forums but other than that, there is no single response. Such business behavior is simply unacceptable.

Therefore, I decided to start the planning and implementation of an own internal software synth solution for a new version 3.0.3. We will call this new software synth "Notation Software Synth". The concept will be as such that we will distribute a basic soundfont .sf2 file as part of the installation. This soundfont file will become the standard software synth similar to the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth as of today. That new "Notation Software Synth" will be visible in the device manager in addition to all the other existing software synths. Furthermore we will implement a new feature that everybody can load his/her most favorite soundfont directly to that Notation Software Synth.

In our lab we have a prototype of this Notation Software Synth running on all Windows platforms (XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10) and with Wine on a Mac. With this concept we can further launch version 3.0.3 on Linux. With Wine we have the prototype running on Linux Ubuntu 14.04 and Linux OpenSuse 13.1.

Version 3.0.3 will only contain this new feature in order to have a solution available for Windows 10 as soon as possible. Those who won't switch to Windows 10 do not need to update. For version 3 customers this update is free, of course.

My current view is that I hope to have this solution available by end of October this year (2015) but without guarantee. So, there is still plenty of time to do the free upgrade to Windows 10 which Microsoft offers in the first year for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 installations.

Reinhold
Old 06-29-2015, 07:23 AM
Administrator

This is a screen shot of the Composer 3 prototype with the new Notation Software Synth on Windows 10. The new synth will be fully integrated and will come with a basic soundfont package. Better soundfonts can be loaded and selected.

Reinhold
Attached Images
File Type: png Notation_Software_Synth_on_Win10.png (215.1 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by Reinhold H.; 07-30-2015 at 05:46 PM.