Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Musician community sharing > Share Your Music

Share Your Music Share your .not or .mid files of your arrangements or compositions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2014, 03:47 PM

Default Yesterdays Septet

"Yesterdays" was written in 1933 by Jerome Kern for the Broadway show "Roberta", where it was introduced by Irene Dunne.

The septet format was my chosen band size for the band I fronted when I was playing. I wrote the original score for this piece in October, 1962, shortly after I joined the USAF Band. I can't find any original parts for it, so I have to assume it was never played. Probably I was not satisfied with the score, as I found a number of places that I changed for this version.

I paid a small tribute to Billy (Lady Day) Holiday in the ending. I had an old LP collection of jazz pieces and one of the tracks was Lady Day singing "Yesterdays". The ending for my version of "Yesterdays" is roughly the equivalent of how she and her arranger did it many years ago.

I have made under-the-covers adjustments to attack and duration of the swing figures in this score to try to make them a little bit closer to how humans would play. If you are interested, you can read more about how I did this in the following "Swing Feel" post in the Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products forum:

http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=30356

I have also attached an MP3 version of how this arrangement sounds on my Clavinova. I hope you enjoy listening to this piece.

Ralph Rayner
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Yesterdays.mp3 (2.33 MB, 15 views)
File Type: not Yesterdays.not (272.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by rrayner; 01-22-2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Updated Notation File