Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   export to pdf problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=34330)

panworks 11-20-2018 04:57 PM

export to pdf problems

Is there a setting so Acrobat does not interpret staff lines as grey rather than black? When printed out the lines do not print or are very faint - all ready tried increasing the musical symbol font. All that did was create more pages. It seems that the export color manager in acrobat does not see the lines as black.

dj 11-21-2018 01:02 PM

Re: export to pdf problems

Hi, Panworks:

I've not run into this in any printing I've done.

In looking closely at PDFs made in Composer (using Adobe Acrobat Reader), I see some grey staff lines at "page-size" zoom levels. However, this disappears at higher zoom levels. I think this may be a screen dithering artifact.

You specifically mention this as a print-out problem. Can you set your printer to black-and-white (as opposed to grey scale)? That may be a work-around.

Hope that helps.

David

panworks 11-21-2018 04:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
David, Thanks for the input. It is not a screen issue as the attached files show. The export file shows the grey staff lines and the printer result file shows what my desk jet printer prints. I have a choice of printing color or gray scale in printer options. I assume this is a problem between composer export and adobe acrobat professional which I use.

Reinhold H. 11-22-2018 08:11 AM

Hi Panworks,

I have an idea what causes the issue but this requires an investigation of Registry settings. I recommend to have a discussion off-line in order not to guide somebody into a direction who is not familiar with handling the Registry.
Can you please send us an email to support(at)notation.com that I can touch base with you directly?
Of course, we will post the final results here in this thread.

Thanks

Reinhold

dj 11-22-2018 12:47 PM

Thanks for stepping in, Reinhold.

I had a feeling I was over my head.

David

Reinhold H. 12-02-2018 10:18 AM

The issue was resolved.
This goes back to what a PDF is for: it is for printing. The PDF export is a high resolution export. Showing a PDF page (e.g. letter size or DIN A4 size) on the screen compresses the page down to ~40%. Because of the high resolution and because the staff lines are thin, a staff line looks grey because usually a monitor has 96 dpi (dots per inch). A printer for a reasonaly good print quaity offers 300 dpi, 600dpi or 1200 dpi. Printing a page where the staff lines look grey on a screen print the staff lines black on paper.

It is also important that when adding text only to the page format, the Page Text from the Layout tab should be used. This scales accordingly. Modifying a PDF after the export may create a different scaling which may turn certain elements into grey.

Reinhold