View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Advanced Tips Request

Hi David -- thank you very much for your suggestions. Sherry has been trying to help me with Note Velocity and Loudness, but I'm finding it rather difficult to manage. She has suggested OEM soundfonts, but as my target platform is my Clavinova, that's not going to help me.

I've made changes, dropping the Note Velocity, and it does seem to soften the attack a little, but it also drops the volume level, so I've increased the volume where I've dropped the velocity. I did this to the entire trombone part and to selected places for the piano, i.e., measures 22-25 and measures 46-50. I've attached the file with changes if you want to see if I've done what you suggested.

I won't be trying the damper pedal suggestion at this time, as my primary and almost exclusive input device is my PC. However, I will look into the GraphOverNotes application of it. I can play simple exercises and chords, but keyboard is not my instrument, so input on the Clavinova is not a good option for me.

A true portamento would be nice for measure 71. I'll dig into the Controller references you made. I think that the Clavinova will handle it, as a number of their samples have the sound of a true portamento. I just need to figure out how to code it.

Along that line, I will be doing a number of swing band pieces and I haven't yet figured out how to do drops (downward gliss w/no target) or doits (pronounced doyits -- an upward moving equivalent of a drop). I have read Notation references to note bends, which I will want to incorporate in some of my pieces, but I haven't dug deeply enough into what's required.

All of your input is appreciated. If you have time, please take a listen to my revisions to see if I've done what you suggested.

One side note, I didn't realize until after I attached the initial copy that I had the Tenors "singing" one octave above where they should have been. I've adjusted that, but then I had to adjust the Ahs velocity and volume as the lower register didn't come out as clearly as before.

Ralph
Attached Files
File Type: not White Christmas.not (262.5 KB, 2 views)