View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Harlem Nocturne Septet

Hi Herbert,

Thank you for your insight, and the amount of time you spent on your response. There is so much to learn and so little time. I am continually torn by my priorities, but in the end, what has to be done is what gets done. The rest is dessert.

I understand what you are saying about volume and velocity -- I just have not tried to put it to practical use yet. Whereas I appreciate your compliment on the volume/velocity level of the bass, I cannot claim credit. Looking at the score, I see that the trombone, baritone sax, bass and drums are all set to a static volume of 100. The trumpet is set to 96 and the tenor sax is set at 110. I don't know how this came to be. What probably happened is that my original score for "Harlem Nocturne" was written on my Clavinova (before Composer came into my life), where I painstakingly entered each and every note with a very tedious data entry capability. I took that midi file, imported it into Composer and cleaned up the notation, so the volume levels had to have come from that source. I do not yet have the knowledge to have done that intentionally. But, spurred by the dialogs by you and others on the subject, I will try to become more knowledgeable in this area. I know that over the years, I have been very displeased at my inability to create a more legato effect in the horns. I have a suspicion that you are leading me into an area of discovery. Heaven knows, Sherry and Mark have tried to educate me in this area, but it has just seemed to bounce off.

Thank you for all of your commentary. I will see if I can put it to good use.

Ralph