Notation Software Users Forum  

Go Back   Notation Software Users Forum > Technical area > Questions or problems
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search New Posts

Questions or problems Have a question or problem about something you can't find in the Help/Users Guide? Ask it here!

Old 11-19-2023, 01:11 AM

Default Page Numbering Styles

This is a visitation of a VERY old problem that I haven't experienced in years.

I have templates for my frequent instrumental configurations - used them for years. When you started working with Version 5, I found that I having problems with my Recorder Duet template. I decided to scrap the original and rebuild it. So, I find that I am missing something in my rebuild.

I have two different page numbering schemes in the attached example. In Page View, you will see there is the number 1 very closely abutted to the character string "Page 1" (my preferred scheme).

I would be relatively certain that I had this problem years ago and I found (with help I'm sure) a way to have only my preferred scheme.

When someone helps me relearn how to get only my preferred scheme, I will code it into my template so as to not experience this problem again.

Ralph Rayner
Attached Files
File Type: not Little Drummer Boy Duet.not (10.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 12-01-2023, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Page Numbering Styles

...and after completing the score, when I turn on the lyrics (for example, to force a second page), Page 2, has several anomalies: the song title appears in the same font size as and under my Arranged by text AND the character string Page 2 appears where it should (centered at the bottom) AND at the top, after the Composer names.

I can use a little WD-40, pitch and baling wire to make it look as it should, BUT...

Help!

Ralph Rayner
Attached Files
File Type: not Little Drummer Boy Duet 2.not (41.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-02-2023, 02:30 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa

Darn you, Ralph! (Pah-rum-pa-pum-pum)
Without a single note in the file (Pah-rum-pa-pum-pum)
I've got it stuck in my head (Pah-rum-pa-pa-pum)

Loaded up your first file in Composer 4 and arbitrarily added a page break at bar 20 to let me see two pages of Page View.

There was an extra Page Text with just the "<page>" in it at the bottom, set to display on all pages. Removed that and that left a Page Text with "Page<page>", set to display on all pages. Reset that to "Display on first page only (CTRL-1)" Also added a space to the Page Text, "Page <page>".

On the new, arbitrary page 2, the 1st page number (at the bottom) now no longer shows. The top right page number is already properly set to "Display on all pages except first (CTRL-2)".

However, both your arrangement credit and the author/composer credit Page Texts are set to "Display on all pages". Changed those to "Display on all pages (CTRL-A)". Changed those to "Display on first page only (CTRL-1)" and suddenly, all is well.

Removed the arbitrary page break I added and I think the file's where you want it. (Pah-rum-pa-pum-pum).

David
Attached Files
File Type: not Little Drummer Boy Duet 3.not (10.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-09-2023, 10:01 PM

Hi David - sorry for the ear worm. Just as payback to me, I'll share my ear worm with you. I can't recall if I've told this tale on the forum...My first "gig" as a youngster was is High School - trumpet, C-melody sax (me), piano and drums. We had just learned "Mr. Sandman" - and we played it over and over again that evening in a local Ice Cream store. I HATE that song!! The soda jerks got to howling EVERY time we played it, because they were sick of hearing it - over and over and over. There - now you have a payback for me.

Thank you for your help on this one. My apologies for the late response, but it has been very busy out.

You are exposing me to a new area in Notation and I will have to do some digging in the User Guide, but you got me around my immediate problem - now I'll have to put on my student hat.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and all!

Ralph
Old 12-11-2023, 04:51 PM

Oh, thanks, again!

Now, it's "Mister Sandman, send me a dream!" over and over.

Here's a little Christmas cheer. A link to a poem by the same woman who wrote "God Bless America". It's called 'Goody Santa Claus on a Sleigh Ride'.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Goody..._a_Sleigh_Ride

It's about Mrs. Claus wheedling Santa to take her with him on Christmas Eve.

By the way, the 'Goody' in the title is old slang for 'Goodwife' which simply means 'Missus'.

Happy Holidays to all.

David
Old 02-03-2024, 12:22 AM

Hi David - here I am pestering you again.

After your previous response, I thought I had my problem figured out - see the Goodbye Girl score, page 2.

I started Could It Be Magic? with my Template - Reorder Duet file, which I thought I had cleaned up, with your kind guidance.

I was doing my end-of-task cleanup by going to Page View, and ARRRRGGHHHH!!!- I have a bad (to me - not what I wanted) page 2 - it has

"Arranged by Ralph R. Rayner
Duet"

at the top left margin.

I've tried to use the Search capability of the UG per your suggestions , but searching for "CTRL-A", "CTRL-1", and "CTRL-2" yield not hits. What am I missing? I think Mark used to fuss at Sherry because she was being - in his mind - Ralph's UG.

So, if you could reveal how you got to the area of the UG to which you referred, I would be very appreciative. I will do the digging, once I get a leg up.

Thank you!

Ralph
Attached Files
File Type: not Goodbye Girl Duetx.not (40.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: not Template - Recorder Duetx.not (38.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: not Could It Be Magic Duetx.not (44.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-03-2024, 12:43 PM

Hi, Ralph:

Searching the User's Guide for Page Text should yield results. Honestly, I rarely look at the UG.

If you look at the second page of the Page View, and select the unwanted text (just single click to select the object), you will observe that the Detail Palette appears (provided you have it selected in the View Menu).

In the Detail Palette, between the B and the I icons on the left and the set of three arrow icons for alignment, you will see five icons for setting which pages the text appears on. In order, they are 'Display on first page only (Ctrl+1)', 'Display on all pages Ctrl+A', 'Display on all pages except first (Ctrl+2)', 'Display on left pages only (Ctrl+L)', 'Display on right pages only (Ctrl+R)'

At the moment, the unwanted text is set to 'Display on all pages'. Simply click on the first icon ("Display on first page only') and you're in business.

Note that to set the 'Display on all pages' option with the keyboard shortcut, you need to use a capital A. In other words, use 'Ctrl+Shift+A'. If you don't, you simply 'Select All'. NOTE TO REINHOLD: THIS SHOULD PROBABLY BE UPDATED IN THE POP-UP HELP.

From what I see, both your arranger credit and the author/composer credit are set to display on all pages. Change those to first page only and you're good.

Hope that helps.

David
Old 02-05-2024, 01:06 AM

Many thanks, David. You have bailed me out yet again.

I appreciate all the time you spent giving me detailed explicit analysis and direction. I'll admit, the "capital A" nuance evaded me, but I have that squared away now (I think, I hope) - including in my Template file.

I have traditionally carried Arranger and Composer on all pages - don't know why - that's just the way I started when I was a Composer neophyte. I think I will experiment a little with that - removing them might prevent going to a third page in some situations.

Ralph